Well, maybe “conquered” is a bit much but I finished exactly the pace (literally exactly) I targeted, 10:00 min miles for a finish time of 2:11:30. How strange is that? A Gatorade colleague said I trained well so I am taking that as the reason and plowing forward.
Some race highlights:
- Getting started was a bit rough as my day started at 5AM. I think I was half asleep during the 1st 3-4 miles since I don’t remember the route at all.
- Having to run away from the starting line the 1st time I was going to start since I didn’t have my time-tracking tag applied to my foot properly. (A race volunteer had to help me).
- Having to run to the port-a-potty in panic that I would have to go during the race (I didn’t)
- Running through our beautiful city before most people were awake
- Sweating through 2 headbands so much that I could wring them out
- Tons of Gatorade on the course – thanks!
Some funny signs seen during the race:
Hope you pooped before the race!
Whether you like it long and slow or fast and hard, the best part is the finish!
Run, complete stranger!
Those all made me laugh.
My music mix was awesome, I had all my best running tunes. Some songs on my list:
- “My Michelle” – Guns N Roses
- “Kickstart My Heart” – Motley Crue
- “I’m Bad” – LL Cool J
- “Keep Yourself Alive” – Queen
- “Hot For Teacher” – Van Halen
- “The Real Slim Shady” – Eminem
At the finish, I was rewarded with a dry-iced cold towel (seen to the left around my shoulders), since it was already over 90 degrees at 9AM in Chicago. I then realized why we had to start the race at 6:30AM.
Afterwards, I met up with the super cute captain of “Team Tobey” for congrats and we hung out in the VIP tent for food!
The question now is, when is my next 1/2?